The City and County of Swansea has recently formalised its process for Community Asset Transfers (CAT) – hence Friends of Pennard Library (FoPL) has completed an expression of interest in taking on the library building following this new procedure. Community Asset Transfer is an established mechanism used to enable the community ownership and management of publicly owned land and buildings.The ultimate aim of Community Asset Transfer is community empowerment – that is, to ensure that land and buildings are retained or transformed then operated for public benefit through community asset ownership and management. We expect to hear from the Local Authority, regarding our expression of interest, in the next six weeks.The FoPL Shop
In its first 12 months of operation, the shop has raised over 25k – which will all go towards maintaining Gower’s library in Pennard. Thanks to all of our volunteers and those who have donated so generously. We are now taking more expensive items to auction houses, or selling on ebay, to obtain the best prices.
Have you visited Pennard Library this week?
We are not meeting targets for visitor numbers – and this is a cause for concern. This especially applies to adults!!! Most of the children in the ward are members and visit the library each week during term time. Please make sure that you continue to visit weekly – especially during the quieter month of August.
What’s on at Pennard Library for adults?
- The Gower Landscape Partnership Display (23 Jul 2016 – 3 Aug 2016)
The Gower Landscape Partnership aims to inspire and help local people to look after Gower’s special and distinctive features. The display will outline the work of the partnership in more detail. Viewing possible during library opening times. This event is free.
- Pennard Library Reading Group: Are looking for new members who would enjoy reading and discussing a diverse range of fiction and non-fiction. Monthly meetings on 3rd Friday of the Month 10.15am-11.15am at the Library.
- Pennard Library Knitting Group: Every Wednesday: 10.00am—11.00am. You can learn to knit, get help with a knitting problem or just bring along your current project for a chat with other knitters.
What’s on for kids?
- ZOOLAB animal handlig event Friday August 5th 10.30-11.30am suitable for children 5+ Free but by ticket only
- PHIZZ-WHIZZINGLY FANTASTIC MR FOX AND CRAFT Friday 12th August story and craft session 10.30-11.30am suitable for children 5-10 years
- LANGUAGE AND PLAY stories, songs and crafty fun for under 5s Wednesday August 17th 10.30-11.30am
- CAT PROTECTION EVENT Talk and craft event for 5+ Wednesday 24th 10.30-11.3-am Entry by ticket only, its free but donations of cat food welcome.
In appreciation of your continued support. Diolch i chi am eich cefnogaeth.
The FoPL Committee
(David Colbeck, Carolyn Davies, Rhian Ferguson, Lynda James, Sarah Joiner, Keith Marsh, Karen Penny, Keith Roberts, Will Smith)